Development and Resource DirectorCompany: The Cabaret
Date Posted: February 25, 2018
To apply, send cover letter and resume to:
Artistic Director, CEO
924 North Pennsylvania Street, Suite B
Indianapolis, IN 46204
*This position requires some evening and weekend hours
The Cabaret is a professional, 501(c)3 nonprofit organization and Indiana's only organization dedicated to the art of professional cabaret performance. The mission of The Cabaret is to elevate and promote the cabaret art form by presenting the finest in professional cabaret performances and developing the next generation of cabaret artists. Through the presentation of world-class Broadway, Jazz, and international artists as well as high-quality education programs, The Cabaret is recognized as a premier national and international cabaret organization.
2018 marks the most exciting chapter yet in the organization's history, as The Cabaret launches its 2018 season in its new home - a world-class venue located at 924 N. Pennsylvania Street in the heart of the evolving Library Square neighborhood in downtown Indianapolis.
Reporting to the Artistic Director and Chief Executive Officer, and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Development and Resource Director will be responsible for the development of The Cabaret's financial management strategy and contribute to the development of the organization's strategic goals. The Development and Resource Director will be charged with supporting the organization in the achievement of its mission, vision, and business goals and will have primary responsibility for the fundraising administration, finance and other business administration functions of The Cabaret.
POSITION FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the functions listed below. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
Giving and Development
- Manages the development and implementation of an annual fundraising plan; assists with the institutional and individual donor portfolio in conjunction with the Artistic Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- Manages all fundraising activities, including annual gala, annual fund drive, capital campaign, corporate sponsorships, events, planned giving programs, and all donor benefits including, but not limited to post-show sponsor/donor receptions.
- Manages the expansion of donations from current sources and works with the Artistic Director and Chief Executive Officer to create new opportunities for income.
- Ensures consistent and continuous grant writing management and reporting processes; manages and assists contract grant writer in preparing and submitting grant applications and reports to foundation, corporations and government agencies; cultivates relationships with current and potential grant-giving organizations and individuals.
- Ensures all donations/contributions/other support are acknowledged as appropriate; maintains accurate and complete records of financial contributions and other substantial support.
- Oversees grant administration, including reporting.
- Maintains donor database.
- Updates and maintains Guidestar.
- Collaborates with the Artistic Director and Chief Executive Officer to assist in the development of the organization's strategic plan; provides input to formulate strategic business goals and helps develop strategies for overall execution; evaluates and reports on the progress of the plan(s) as it applies to development, finance and other business administration.
- Cultivates a strong partnership with the Artistic Director and Chief Executive Officer by providing routine communication on critical organizational achievements/issues; works as needed with committees of the Board.
Business Administration/Financial/Risk Management
- Partners with the Artistic Director and Chief Executive Officer, Board, Business Manager, and Finance Committee to prepare and oversee a comprehensive monthly and annual operating budget; monitors the monthly cash flow of the organization, authorizes expenditures in accordance with the approved budget, and maintains bank accounts as directed by the Board; provides clear and timely financial reports and forecasts to the Board of Directors and National Bank of Indianapolis.
- Collaborates with the Artistic Director and Chief Executive Officer on and prepares the budgets and project costs for the artistic program and key projects; prepares written progress reports on the budget, identifies key issues, successes and challenges.
- Oversees all accounting and bookkeeping functions including oversight for the annual financial review, the 990, monthly financial analysis, and payroll in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles; ensures that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
- Identifies and evaluates risks to the organization and its people, property, finances, goodwill, and image; implements measures to control risk; maintains all organizational documents in accordance with legal requirements and/or Board policies and procedures.
- Ensures that the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverages; communicates the terms, conditions and limitations of coverage as necessary; manages group health and other insurance coverage accordingly.
- Files annual entity report with the State of Indiana.
- Manages lease and ensures positive relations with landlord and vendors.
Board Relations and Reporting
- Collaborates with the Artistic Director and Chief Executive Officer and Board Chair to schedule annual meeting calendar, reserves meeting space, prepares and disseminates meeting agendas and minutes, ensures quorum.
- Attends finance and other committee meetings of the Board as required; prepares and presents relevant reports including, but not limited to: finance, staff/administration and fund development.
- Maintains and updates board contact lists, board meeting records, and ensures that meeting minutes are recorded and filed; reviews and updates board by laws annually.
- Partners with the Artistic Director and Chief Executive Officer and nominating committee chair to conduct annual analysis of board composition to ascertain new member needs.
- Partners with the development committee to develop and implement a regular calendar of strategic, fundraising, cultivation, and solicitation trainings for all Board Members.
Employee Management and Leadership
- Supports the recruitment, hiring, compensation and benefits programs, and performance management processes of the organization; maintains and updates the employee manual; facilitates staff meetings when directed by the Artistic Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- Works with Artistic Director and Chief Executive Officer to establish staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Delegates responsibilities to, and monitors the performance of, direct reports; establishes performance plans with direct reports and regularly reviews its progress, supports direct reports in the achievement of role objectives, including identifying appropriate professional development opportunities for each individual.